b-hebrew - RE: 1Samuel1:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, Peter Kirk <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • Subject: RE: 1Samuel1:9
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:12:39 -0400

Peter wrote:

>In Persian "heykal" means "idol", and in Azerbaijani it means "statue". That
>doesn't help either. We need to decide what it meant in Hebrew.

Agreed. My point is that the usage in every Semitic language of which I'm
aware and in Sumerian (which seems hard to overcome as the source in
Akkadian,
at least, probably in the others as well) suggests a fundamental notion of
large, fixed strucutres, usually either palace or temple. Granted, there are
developments away from that notion, but part of my objection to what had been
said was regarding the notion that the earlier sense is more abstract or
general. The Hebrew usage seems pretty consistently tied to a fixed
structure, and the other Semitic cognates fit the pattern. I'm not trying to
say that it necessarily proves anything--I'm just interested in what evidence
might point the other way (aside from this one verse where we may not be
happy
with the implications).

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics