b-hebrew - Re: Tha Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tha Case Against a Hellenistic Primary History
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 01:40:46 +0200

From: Walter Mattfeld <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>

>I would expect at least "a few" place-names from a Primary History
>"allegedly written in the Hellenistic age." The absence of the below sites
>should be a "wake-up call" for those advocating a late creation. How will
>they explain ALL of these sites NON-APPEARANCE in a Hellenistic creation
>(Some of these sites, however, DO APPEAR in other Hellenistic compositions,
>like for instabce, Maccabees I-IV).

Walter, you wouldn't expect specifically Greek founded
cities to have been knowingly included would you? --
for that's what many of the cities you list are.

>004 Abila (Gilead);

Greek?

>023 Adasa;

Greek?

>046 Alexandrium/Sartaba;

Hasmonean fortress

>073 Apollonia;

Greek

>081 Arbela (Galilee);

Mainly caves at the time of Bacchides

>085 Ariedela (Gharandel);
>087 Aristobulias;

Very late? Hasmonean?

>102 Asphar;
>292 Docus;

Greek?

>299 Eeitha;
>307 Elasa;

Looks Greek, only heard of in 1 Macc

>315 Emmaus (Nicopolis);

Greek

>333 Ephron (Gilead);
>352 Gadara;

Greek?

>357 Gamala;

Greek?

>359 Garaba;
>380 Gerasa (Gilead); (Antioch on the Chrysorhoas)

Greek

>434 Hippias;

Greek

>567 Malumas; 504 Kedron (Gedrus);
>558 Macherus;

Specifically built by the Hasmoneans

>564 Mahalol;
>579 Masada;

Not a city and not built on until the time of A.Jannaeus

>581 Mazraa;
>614 Modein;

As this was the centre of the early Hasmonean family
they would probably have known its history.

>627 Nadabath;
>643 Nessana;

Nabataean?

>651 Oboda;

Nabataean?

>652 Odollam; 657 Orda;

>662 Pella (existed in LB but not in Iron Age);

Rebuilt by the Greeks

>666 Pharathon;

Greek?

>693 Ragaba;
>728 Samaga;

Only known from the time of John Hyrcanus, so probably late

>744 Seleucia (Golan);

Greek

>748 Sepphoris;

Greek

>768 Skoufiye.

There are a number that I couldn't track down, so perhaps
you have some insights on them.

In all though not very a inspiring list of candidates for
anachronisms that didn't occur where one might hope for
occurrences in texts one wants to show are not late.

Ian