b-hebrew - Questions on Psalm 18:18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Buchs" <buchs AT lutheran.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Questions on Psalm 18:18
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 07:03:23 -0500

Hello,

Introduction:
I am a student of Hebrew, having struggled while taking a seminary course
and now trying to retain some knowledge and perhaps add a bit. However, I
am only able to devote 10 minutes every other day - so it comes very slowly.
I have spent almost a year now working on a translation of Psalm 18:18-27,
as I found it very difficult. There were several problems I was not able to
resolve. I resorted to my copy of Beall/Banks/Smith Parsing Guide at
several points, but for most of those, I am not able to justify the
conclusions this book reached. I would appreciate a dose of the expertise
of this group as I post some of my questions over the next several
days/weeks. Any grammar insights would be appreciated.

Questions:
1) In Psalm 18:18a, in the word M")OY:B, I cannot understand why the Shewa
appears, rather than a Tsere.

2) In Psalm 18:18a the word (FZ has me wondering. My Holladay Lexicon lists
only one occurrence of this form in Genesis 49. However, I don't see any
other conclusion that to translate as the adjective "power". What have I
missed here?

3) In Ps 18:18bWMI&&ON")AY seems to have a 1cs pronomial suffix which is
used for plural nouns, yet this is placed on a singular participle. I would
expect, instead of AY that IY be used. However, the subject in the
following verb seems to shift to plural.

4) Any comments on my resulting translation of 18:18:

He will snatch me away from a powerful enemy
and from the one hating me because they are strong than me.

Kevin Buchs buchs AT lutheran.com Rochester, MN