b-hebrew - Re: b-hebrew digest: September 17, 2001

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Fred Putnam" <fputnam AT biblical.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: b-hebrew digest: September 17, 2001
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:26:16 -0400

Ian,

I'm not sure that there is an affixual issue here, since the form is 3ms qal
imperfect (traditionally jussive here) of a triradical root (ayin-resh-bet).

The only cognate or etymological information that I can uncover is a putative
link to Hadramatic Arabic 'aru/ib; every reference cites Ben-H. Leshonenenu
44 (1980):85ff. Neither the lexica nor any commentators available to me
follow Dahood's identification of this text with UT, 125:11-12, 'l abh y'rb
("He
enters his father's presence"--so Dahood); he implies that 'rb, "to please"
requires the preposition l (as it has elsewhere in BH).

But perhaps I'm missing the point of your question.

Best wishes,
Fred Putnam