b-hebrew - Re: b-hebrew digest: September 08, 2001

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Tan Chee Leong <tcleong AT cyberway.com.sg>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: b-hebrew digest: September 08, 2001
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 17:28:37 -0400

> Hi,
>
> Recently I made a feeble attempt at parsing and came to a little
> problem. I was trying to parse Psalm 119:9. The problem word was the
last
> word in the verse. k-dvareka (sorry I don't know if there's a standard
way
> of romanizing). My question is: Is the lit. meaning of the word, "like
> your words" or is it "like your word" ? As don't find the yodh between
> resh and kaph, I'm not sure if the noun is a plural noun.

the hireq indicates the vowel even if the yodh is absent (as it is in this
case). the text is problematic as you can see from the textual apparatus of
BHS. The Targum adds a yodh at the end of the word between resh and kaph.
and some copies of the LXX have tous logous sou.
so far as parsing is concerned- i take it like this:

noun, masc singular > davar. + prefix preposition ki + suffix ka.
i render this *according to your word*

best

jim
Jim West, ThD