b-hebrew - adonai vs. adoni

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Schmuel <schmuel AT bigfoot.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: adonai vs. adoni
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 12:02:50 -0400

Shalom b-hebrew,

Dan Dyke, (about adonai and adoni)
This is a distinction only seen in the pointed text is it not? If so then could it not be just a Masoretic invention-convention.

Schmuel

True, but some of us consider the vowel points as inspired....

eg..

Romans 3
What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

There is an interesting article defending the Masoretic vowel points ...
The Inspiration of the Hebrew Letters & Vowel-Points
By George Sayles Bishop 1836-1914

And I am interested in the views on this topic...

Orthodox Jews also often have the "inspired" view (though with different justification :-)

One can also hold a view that the Masoretes were accurate in transmitting
different pronunciations without necessarily being 'inspired'.

However if one has a "vowel points added/invention" view, then the distinction
between adonai and adoni disappears ...

Probably the vowel points has been discussed here a lot .. I am late to the table.....

Schmuel AT bigfoot.com
Messianic_Apologetic-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com

  • adonai vs. adoni, Dan Dyke, 09/03/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • adonai vs. adoni, Schmuel, 09/04/2001