b-hebrew - superstitions regarding tetragrammaton? (was "Hos 4:16")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: superstitions regarding tetragrammaton? (was "Hos 4:16")
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:48:19 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Jay Childs <selectjay AT hotmail.com>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 9:06 AM
Subject: Re: Hos 4:16

> Not having the text right in front of me at this point, it's hard to
> compare...but perhaps a more syntactic issue may be involved
> here. As we know from Job's wife, a "blessing" might be
> substituted for a"curse" in the text, particularly if the word
> "curse" would have appeared next to the tetragram.

Interesting point, although i've never heard of this notion before. My
initial response would be that this kind of superstition would not have
existed at the time of the writing of Job or any of the BH literature. It
seems that superstitions regarding the vocalization, pronoucing, writing,
etc. of the divine name, and other such as the avoiding of ending the
liturgical reading of a book with a curse (Mal., Isa., etc.), were all rather
late -- some even perhaps after the writing of the NT. Can anyone supply
evidence or bibliographic information to the effect that the word(s) for
curse or other similar ideas are avoided in close proximity to the name YHWH
in BH (in contrast to contexts without the tetragrammaton)?

Dan Wagner

NetZero Platinum
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!

  • superstitions regarding tetragrammaton? (was "Hos 4:16"), Daniel Wagner, 08/22/2001