b-hebrew - Re: Zion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Johannes Hellberg <j.hellberg AT forsfak.been.o.se>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Zion
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 17:27:57 +0200

Tony

The consonants aleph, he, yod and vav can be used as 'matres lectiones', but
in this case it cannot be in that way since the yod in Zion is doubled
(geminated). Hence it must be a consonant of full value, and not a matres
lectionis according to the Masoretes.
The Septuagint , however, was translated long before the Masoretes, and in
an unvocalized Zion, yod might have been reckoned as 'matres lectionis'

Yours Sincerely

Johannes