b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew philology (somewhat off topic)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Trevor & Julie Peterson" <06peterson AT cua.edu>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew philology (somewhat off topic)
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 21:42:23 -0500

Trevor asked:

Any idea whether there's a distinction in Hebrew that would parallel the
philologist/linguist distinction in English?

Charles answers: Not in my personal dialect of spoken Hebrew. But again,
others on the list may have different ranges of usage than I. I have always
heard and used the same word. But I have actually heard philologya for
philology, comparable to philosophya for philosophy.
Anyone else?
Charles