b-hebrew - Wratful Gods article

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Wratful Gods article
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 10:51:19 +0200

Available at my website (click on the url in my signature and navigate to
the OT Menu) is the following article-

Wrathful Gods and the "Day of the Lord" (The Ancient Near Eastern Motifs and
Parallels)

The Hebrews did not develop their religious beliefs in isolation. They drew
from and were influenced by the beliefs of their contemporaries. This
article explores the concept of God being a "Wrathful God" and the motif of
the "Day of the Lord," a day when his wrath falls upon his enemies,
including his own people, noting parallels in the literature of the
Neo-Assyrian and Neo-Babylonian periods.

All the best, Walter

Walter Reinhold Warttig Mattfeld
Walldorf by Heidelberg
Baden-Wurttemburg, Germany