b-hebrew - Hebrew alphabetic system of numeration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Fernando Arias" <fernando.arias AT lycos.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Hebrew alphabetic system of numeration
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:20:03 -0700

Dear members,
I read that the use of the Hebrew alphabet for numbers is first found in
coins of the Maccabean period(second century B.C.E.) after the Jews adopted
the Greek system of using letters as numerals. Is there any evidence of an
earlier date? Is there any evidence during the Babylonian captivity?
Regards,
Fernando.

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!