b-hebrew - waw-conjunctive

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Greg Doudna" <gdoudna AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: waw-conjunctive
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 01:00:54 -0400

This is a question for Henry Churchyard. Do you have positive
reason to suppose there was a pronunciation difference between
waw-consecutive and waw-conjunctive, we-yqtl and wayyiqtol,
at the time of the Qumran texts? Granted that there could have
been, but from your study do you have positive reasons to
suppose that there was? I sure don't know how one could
answer the question based on Qumran orthography alone.

Greg Doudna

  • waw-conjunctive, Greg Doudna, 05/01/2001