b-hebrew - feminine pronoun in Jonah 4:4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Coakley Jim <drcoakley AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: feminine pronoun in Jonah 4:4
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 16:30:14 -0700 (PDT)

A student in class recently asked me why there was a
feminine pronoun (you)in Jonah 4:4. (It is the last
word in the verse). I have looked in several sources
and I cannot find any discussion on why it is in the
feminine gender. I would expect masculine (referent
being Jonah) but the pronoun is pointed as a feminine
pronoun attached to the preposition lamed. The closest
feminine antecedent is nephesh in verse 3 and I was
wondering if that is the referent the Masoretes
intended or if there is some other explanation?

Jim Coakley
Moody Graduate School