b-hebrew - Re: Agents of Blood Vengeance, B)DM in Gen 9:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Agents of Blood Vengeance, B)DM in Gen 9:6
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:04:54 -0700

An off list response brought to my attention a need to clarify one point in
my question.

on 4/14/01 2:57 PM, c stirling bartholomew wrote:

> Without trying to resolve this dispute, lets just explore a what-if path. If
> we were to follow J. Wevers' understanding of this text, then could we
> understand Y$FK as a "divine passive."

This wording is misleading. I am not really adopting Wevers' position on the
question of the agentive force of B)DM in the MT since his argument is
very subtle, and his conclusion and V.P. Hamilton's do not have any impact
on my question. So this should read something more like

> If we read B)DM in some sense other than as the agent of retribution . . .

I don't want to be putting words into J. Wevers' or V.P. Hamilton's mouths
since I know that will get me into trouble. Wevers and Hamilton raised the
question about B)DM being agentive, that is enough for my purpose. So lets
assume it is not agentive as a what-if scenario and proceed from there.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point