b-hebrew - RE: Exodus Articles

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Exodus Articles
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 00:54:57 +0100

To Walter and the moderators:

I appreciate links to such articles, though at the moment I don't have time
or inclination to go into these matters in detail.

But I do think that the list is being abused if a member is allowed to post
a highly controversial and provocative assertion like "Archaeology has
established that the Exodus as presented in the Bible never happened" which
is outside the scope of this list, and is also a direct attack on the faith
of many list members. It is of course less objectionable when accompanied by
supporting evidence. And I understand that this is part of the publicity
teaser for the articles, which is rather good I think.

Now I don't want to get into arguing the substance of this issue, and I am
glad that such an argument is outside the scope of this list, but if it
cannot be argued it should not even be asserted.

Peter Kirk