b-hebrew - RE: Swanson: Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains: Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "c stirling bartholomew" <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Swanson: Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains: Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:23:41 +0100

I have also seen similar serious concerns, which I share, from a linguist
and Hebrew scholar who is working on a similar project but based more
closely on the semantic structure of Hebrew itself. Nevertheless he
considers that it "certainly is a useful tool. But..." He also made the
point that Louw and Nida itself should be based more on Hebrew semantic
structures because of the extent to which NT Greek has been influenced by
Hebrew.

I note that in Swanson (according to the website, my emphasis) "MOST
definitions are also categorized by semantic domain according to the
numbering system set forth in the Louw-Nida Lexicon". I would surmise that
the entries which are not categorised are the ones which would require
extensions to the Louw and Nida taxonomy. In such a way the SCOPE could be
extended as required, but the needed changes to the STRUCTURE which Clay
points out would not be made. I also have the following quotes from
Swanson's preface: "the purpose was not to suggest that Hebrew/Aramaic and
Greek thought structures are of the same. There is no suggestion that a
lexeme in the OT language mathematically equals (univocal) the Greek lexemes
in meaning. There is also no suggestion that a Greek language domain
structure should be imposed on a Hebrew culture domain structure... there is
at least an analogical connection between the domains of meaning in the
Greek New Testament and Hebrew/Aramaic culture. Many of these domains could
relate to nearly any culture of the world... certain domains in the Hebrew
have to be more carefully studied and debated as to their cultural mindset".

The scholar I mentioned above also concluded that the STRUCTURE of Louw and
Nida's taxonomy needed amendment. But part of his argument was that even for
NT Greek the Louw and Nida approach is lacking, because its taxonomy
confuses two independent factors, the lexical and the contextual. I can't go
into this in detail, but I may try to get permission to distribute a paper
about this, from one of SIL's partner organisations.

Peter Kirk