b-hebrew - Re: Biblical Hebrew Syntax

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Trevor Peterson" <speederson AT erols.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Biblical Hebrew Syntax
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 20:51:43 -0400

The approach I'm describing is more complex than what I've presented.
(And I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it--just presenting it as a
plausible model.) I'd have to check the details again, but it has
something to do with a shift in the distribution of subjunctive forms and
tense conjugations, to the point that one conjugation appeared almost
exclusively in the subjunctive and as such took on a new range of usage.
Again, my understanding of the model is sketchy, but it does seem to me
like it holds more water than a bare comparison between the short and long
conjugations.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics