b-hebrew - RE: hoy and 'oy in prophets

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "c stirling bartholomew" <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: hoy and 'oy in prophets
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:32:56 +0100

Clay, it seems to me that you understand well what is going on, that the
prophet is announcing a future destruction (I assume the Churchill
conversation was before the event!) and perhaps also expressing a measure of
regret that it is necessary - this element is certainly present in the New
Testament examples e.g. Matthew 23, perhaps not so clear in the Hebrew
Bible. I would expect to hear a following "If only you had..."

So it seems that the open question is one of terminology. "Lament" doesn't
sound right as in English that suggests a response after the event. Nor do
"curse" or "threat" because they imply that the prophet, or God, is actively
desiring the event rather than regretting it. Also "threat" implies that the
event is not inevitable if the right response is made, which is not in focus
in the Biblical examples which are not calls to repentance. The best term to
me is simply "woe", which is used as a noun even in the English NIV Bible
headings (at least at Matthew 23:1).

Peter Kirk