b-hebrew - Re: BH: indicative nunation?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Henry Churchyard" <churchh AT usa.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: BH: indicative nunation?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 20:05:39 -0500 (CDT)

> Date: 3 Apr 2001 13:49:23 MDT
> From: Henry Churchyard <churchh AT usa.net>

> In certain subject endings the presence of _n_ was originally a
> marker of "indicative" (or whatever one wishes to call it), such as
> original YAQTULUUNA indicative vs. YAQTULUU jussive. But the
> original _n_ (often asimilated in Hebrew) before object endings is
> "energic" in comparative terms. It might be an interesting research
> project to see if there was any correlation between the use of
> _yiqt@luun_ forms in Hebrew (as opposed to _yiqt@luu_ forms) and the
> use of _yiqtolekka_ forms in Hebrew (as opposed to non-"energic"
> forms), but I doubt that you could _a priori_ reasonably assume that
> forms without original _n_ are all somehow "non-indicative".

P.S. In Arabic "indicative" nunation and "energic" nunation are independent:
jussive YAQTULUU, indicative YAQTULUUNA, energic YAQTULUNNA, etc.

Also, the pausal alternation _yiqtolkha_ (ultimate stressed) vs. _yiqtolekha_
(penultimate stressed) has no direct relationship to _yiqtolekka_ (which is
not subject to pausal alternation).

Oh, and if you want mysterious verbal _nun_s, then I was never quite sure
what
do do with these...

Hos 5.15 y.SaH.arun.niy;
Ps 50.23 y.kab:.dAn.niy w.$Am