b-hebrew - RE: Sam, Chr & Josephus (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Sam, Chr & Josephus (Peter)
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:58:55 -0000

Ian, I think you should apologise to the list, and especially to Jewish list
members, for comparing Ezra to Hitler in this (or any) way. I am sure you
did not intend to cause offence, but I hope you understand how offensive
this could be.

In another posting you wrote "Gawd, Peter. That's a wild one!..." Now I
don't know whether you believe in God, but many of us on the list do and
find such langauge offensive, as taking the Lord's name in vain. I don't
consider that writing the vowel in a different way is sufficient defence to
a charge of breaking the commandment.

When I am assured that you are arguing on a scholarly level and taking
proper care to avoid causing offence I will try to answer other aspects of
your recent postings.

Peter Kirk