b-hebrew - Re: Samaritan Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christian M. M. Brady" <cbrady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: H-Bible <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Samaritan Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:44:25 -0600

On 3/14/01 5:40 PM, "Brian Tucker" <editor AT journalofbiblicalstudies.org>
wrote:

>>> the
>>>>

>>> 1. Targum - an Aramaic version of the Pentateuch.
>>
>> The targumim are in Aramaic (as noted), not in Samaritan Hebrew.
>>
>> (Or did I miss the point of your post Brian?)
>
> No, I tend to be ponderous and pedantic, at least the academics that I work
> with call me that. :-) I imagine that I was attempting to be thorough
> (though I failed there, as well).
>
> Also, didn't early rabbis reject Sam. Pent. because it was not written in
> Aramaic script but paleo-Hebrew?
>
> Also, would 4QpaleoExodm belong in the list?
>
> So revising the list to include only Hebrew:
> 1. Sam. Pent.
> 2. Memar Marqah has a midrash on the Hebrew Alphabet.
> 3. Liturgical works - Hebrew acrostics.
> 4. Chronicles - Ha-Tolidah
>
> Hope this is a better understanding of the original question.
>
> What do you consider the authoritative work on Samaritan Hebrew mss?

It is not my field, but Alan Crown is a clear authority on the matter.
Consulting his works would be a good first step.

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
"An optimist is a guy that has never had much experience."
Don Marquis, 'archy & mehitabel', 1927