b-hebrew - RE: Chiasmus in Antiquity

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Loren Crow" <ldcrow AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Brian Tucker" <editor AT journalofbiblicalstudies.org>
  • Cc: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Chiasmus in Antiquity
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:34:57 -0600

Hi Brian. This sounds very much like Herrmann Gunkel's belief that simple
forms were necessarily more ancient than more complex ones. In fact, Gunkel
believed that he could write a history of Israelite literature on the basis
of this assumption. It's a kind of application of Hegelian principles to
literary criticism. The assumption is now rightly regarded with
considerable suspicion. There is simply no way to test the hypothesis. To
put it another way, it's conceivable that the complex forms were the
original ones, and that these were simplified and systematized by people
with those concerns.

That said, it does seem to me that we can benefit considerably from Gunkel's
work by shifting from the historical categories of "earlier" and "later" to
the logical categories of "prior" and "posterior." Complex forms are better
understood in relationship to simpler ones, and simple forms are better
understood in the context of complex ones. Consider, for example, how the
complex category "royal psalms" benefits from taking note of simpler forms
(such as petition, hymn, etc.) as they occur in such "royal psalms."

Anyway, it might be worth your while to look at some of the critiques of
Gunkel's program, since it seems so comparable to what you are discussing.

All the best,
Loren

Loren D. Crow, Ph.D. email: lorencrow AT earthling.net
Wiley College Phone: (903) 927-3219
Department of Religion Fax: (903) 927-3344
711 Wiley Avenue Web: http://home.earthlink.net/~lorencrow
Marshall, Texas 75670