b-hebrew - ghayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin L. Barney" <klbarney AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: ghayin
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:27:01 -0500

I am trying to find out whether the ayin in Canaan (Kena'an) was
originally a true ayin or ghayin. Does anyone know? How would one go
about finding the answer to this question? Is there some notation in BDB
or something I should know about?

Also, I did not know until yesterday that there was such a thing as
ghayin. I take it this was originally a separate letter with a gh
pronunciation that merged at an early date with ayin, and is not
separately represented in modern transcriptions. If anyone would care to
offer any more background on ghayin, I would appreciate it.

Kevin L. Barney
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
klbarney AT yahoo.com

  • ghayin, Kevin L. Barney, 03/13/2001