b-hebrew - Immanuel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eduardo M. Acuna" <eacuna AT mail.giga.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Immanuel
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:55:43 -0500

Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT keyaccess.nl> on Sun, 11 mar 2001 wrote:
>Isaiah 7:14 provides a theophoric name, which is generally written as
>one name.
>Moreover, D.W. Thomas etc. may be wrong too. It occurs that the editors
--
>in case he took the Masoretic accentuation of the text in consideration
--
>erred with regard to the first element (MNW . In BHS, BHK and Snaith this
>element is marked with the conjunctive accent Merka (curved to the left),
>while CL reads in Isaiah 7:14 (and probably also in 8:8) a Metheg (or
>Ga`ya; curved to the right). Because this sign is not an accent, it does
>not mark independent words, but indicates only additional musical or
>phonetic motifs, it is clear that CL did read one word.
>I have to admit here that I based my observation solely on CL and that
>other MSS might provide a different interpretation. Yet there is no
>reason to read two words here from a morphological, grammatical or
>syntactical point of view.

In CL, (MNW )L is written in Isaiah 7:14, 8:8 and 8:10 as two words and
therefore BHK, BHS and Snaith are right. In all three cases there is paseq
and Shewa which unmistakenly separates )L from (MNW. As a confirmation,
the masorah did not marked Immanuel as a unique one word for the entire
Torah.
Eduardo.

  • Immanuel, Eduardo M. Acuna, 03/13/2001