b-hebrew - Re: Sam, Chr & Josephus (Stephen)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sam, Chr & Josephus (Stephen)
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:53:14 +0100

>>The grits are here:
>
>As far as I was concerned, the grits were earlier,

I did realise what was concerning you, Stephen. I however, chose to get to the
substantive claim you made in your post, rather than the rhetorical part.

>showing that your statement (and I quote again) --

>-- permits as an inference both yours and Peter's position. In fact,
>it is an application of the Lachmann fallacy to conclude that your
>position is the only or even the best explanation, based on the fact
>that "Josephus almost always agrees with either one or the other."

It may be that you have a handle for the expression that I made, but that
doesn't
make the handle of any worth per se.

>>>If we adopt reasonable
>>>datings for the materials, i.e. Sam. and Chr. earlier than
>>>Jos., then Peter's solution is preferable.
>>
>>As you have no relevant criteria to say what the "reasonable datings for the
>>materials, i.e. Sam. and Chr." are, nor whether those "reasonable datings"
>>are
>>earlier than Josephus, this is worth your two cents I suppose.
>
>I don't really want to get into this topic,

I can see this.

>but it is prima facie
>reasonable when it is found in a current, standard, reference work
>such as the Anchor Bible Dictionary. If you have a problem with
>its datings, then tell us why it is wrong.

I have.

>Just don't ask everyone to reinvent the wheel
>every time you come up with an idiosyncratic
>(though intriguing as always) notion.

I don't (just) ask that. I ask you to read what I have said on the matter in
other
posts, as dating pointers. One doesn't seriously respond to arguments such as
those
I gave relating the texts of the Ezra tradition to Josephus's indications, by
ignoring them. One doesn't brush aside the fact that Josephus, who shows a
vast
access to Hebrew literature, doesn't use either of the two recognizable
sources that
you would claim available to him at the time.

I wouldn't ask you to reinvent the wheel, but I would ask you to go beyond
the sty
of contentment.

Ian

  • Re: Sam, Chr & Josephus (Stephen), Ian Hutchesson, 03/12/2001