b-hebrew - Re: The Linkage Between Isaiah 7:14 and 9:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <language_lover64801 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Linkage Between Isaiah 7:14 and 9:6
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 08:08:44 -0600

<<Moreover, it is said in Isaiah 7:14 itself that we are dealing with a
name.
Everywhere we read something like "the name is/will be called", it is
followed by a name; even in Matthew 1:23! Why do you refuse to see it as a
name?>>

Also, take into account the translation in the LXX. It reads EMMANUEL, one
word. I am completely sold, Raymond. If CL, 1QIsa^a and LXX all read
against BHS and BHK, then go with the majority and better testiments. Add
to that the fact that it reads <Hebr> WQR'T SMW... <endHebr> and the
accentuation issues (Methegh instead of Merchah in CL), and you have
overwhelming evidence that it is a name. I think that is absolutely clear.
(And Matthew quoted it as a name, too.)

Regards,
Jason

Jason A. Hare