b-hebrew - Deut. 22:8 *yiphol nophel*

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "r w ponder, jr." <rwponder AT lycos.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Deut. 22:8 *yiphol nophel*
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:51:10 -0500

Dear b-hebrewers:
Among the stellar minds in this i-net constellation, I am sure there are
many of you who could help with my question. My own reading of Deut. 22:8
always has taken the participle *nophel* to have a substantive meaning of its
own -- something like, "one who is prone to falling."
But I have noticed that translators (apparently without exception) take
the participle simply as a way of saying "someone" or "anyone." ISTM that
either understanding is plausible, but it started me wondering: How does BH
customarily say "anyone" or "someone"? It seems reasonable that *ish*,
*nephesh* or any number of other terms could be used as indefinites in this
manner, but I find they usually are not employed in this fashion, although
the idiomatic "a man and his neighbor" is used to mean "everyone."
Thanks, and *shalom* to all.
Rev. Reggie Ponder, Jr.
Mt. Tirzah United Methodist Church
Timberlake, NC USA