b-hebrew - (Off topic) Technical term needed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: (Off topic) Technical term needed
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 20:33:21 +0100

Hopefully someone here might be able to help me regarding something I have
to translate. The author talks about the noun to which a phrase is genitive
and supplies a word for the main noun (in Italian "reggente", ie "regent")
which I don't know. In the phrases

1. John's dog

2. The dog of the house

The genitive in each case is clear, but what grammatical tag can I use for
"dog" in these cases to show its relationship to the genitive?

Thanks,

Ian