b-hebrew - Date of Ezra

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christian M. M. Brady" <cbrady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: H-Bible <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Date of Ezra
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 19:07:20 -0600

On 3/4/01 6:04 PM, "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it> wrote:

> I think I can show that the current book of Ezra dates to the early
> rabbinical period along with the current version of Nehemiah and that the
> current version of Chronicles is even later. (This is not to say that some
> or even many of the traditions are not earlier, but there has been
> substantial work on these texts after the time of Josephus. If this is
> correct then there is a grave problem of distinguishing just what is from
> that period and what is earlier.)

Ian, you may be able to show that to your satisfaction, but I seriously
doubt if you will satisfy many other scholars. The *rabbinic* period?
Post-Josephus? Hardly likely.

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent
of your own ignorance."

  • Date of Ezra, Christian M. M. Brady, 03/04/2001