b-hebrew - RE: SHABUA in Dan 9:24-27

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT datastream.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: SHABUA in Dan 9:24-27
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 19:24:18 -0500

It's OK by me.

> Is the older translation 'weeks' appropriate? If so, why?

"Heptad" seems to be the most non-controversial way to translate it.

> Is this section to be considered a 'expository midrash'?
> (Goldingay, 231)

No, prophecy! (no, i'm not going to take time now to respond whatever flak
may come for that statement!)

> Is the distinction between chronology and chronography (a
> stylized scheme
> of history used to interpret historical data rather than arising from
> them) (Goldingay, 257) appropriate here?

The outworking in time follows the prophecy.

Dan Wagner

> Are there any legitmate literary problems with verse 27 (i.e.
> that it was
> added later, if so, why? Maccabean period?) (NIDOTTE, 4:21-22)

I think the very fact of its cryptic nature and difficulty shows that it is
orignal with Daniel like all the rest. If late, after-the-fact, why would it
be so tough to figure out?

> Does the context of chapters 7-9 help in understanding this section?

Yes, but too big a question for the moment for me....

Dan Wagner

  • RE: SHABUA in Dan 9:24-27, Dan Wagner, 03/02/2001