b-hebrew - RE: Myths by the Holy Ghost? and others

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Myths by the Holy Ghost? and others
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:02:24 -0500

Yes, the story of Adam & Eve is a myth, I agree.
But why childish?
Our myths are crucial. I'm reading an excellent book by
William Doty, called Mythography: The Study of Myths and Rituals.
He argues that when people let loose their myths, as in the modern age
(not post-modern, probably), they lose their place in the universe and
become alienated from it, and disoriented. Our myths tell us who we
are, why we are; they explain to us our place in the world, and our
relationship to whatever gods may be.
Liz