b-hebrew - This particular rock is getting like a hard place...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: b.gardner AT abdn.ac.uk
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: dependabol AT hotmail.com
  • Subject: This particular rock is getting like a hard place...
  • Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 02:08:11 GB

Dear Friends,
Most of what I've read about the conflicting evangelical
Christian
and neutralist stances tends to confirm what I wrote which can be expressed
as
follows (and here I also applaud Jonathan Safen's attempts to bring sanity):

1] Can we please avoid aggressive application of a strict Christian
historicism
which denies that it is so? Christianity is one interpretation of the Hebrew
Bible, and it is not acceptable in an open list to pretend otherwise. I'd
like
to suggest, too, that using (B)CE and HB would not bust anyone's membership
of
the evangelical Christian brotherhood, just indicate a willingness to be meek.

As I recall, that is something Moses and Jesus are supposed to have in common.

2] The recent fortified theological aggressiveness, for example, has to my
mind
strengthened the view that Christians 'in the flesh' are intimidating
specimens
for others to cope with. One is reminded of a man loudly bricking himself
in,
and inviting silenced neighbours to suffocate with him. Do I hear: 'No
thanks'?

Personally, I think it's time we faced the fact we ARE different in
perspective
by having the courtesy to use neutral terms. We all know what we believe
anyway
but there are ways of showing that incidentally so as to learn from each
other.

I have heard the Holy Spirit referred to familiarly, even possessively, but
the
shekinah, in Jewish and Christians traditions, brings unity, wisdom and
peace,
and none of us should ever be so very definite that we forget how small we
are.

Is it possible, dear Christians, to remember God's love for his ancient
people,
on the one hand, and, on the other, that all people are made in God's image,
so
refraining from the bruising, dismissive comment that insists on its own way?

I am a Christian. Actually, a 'born-again' one, but I grew out of the fear of
being overwhelmed by others into a more humble awareness of God's love for
all.

Are we going to grieve the Spirit by aggressive insistence, or choose peace
and
mutual respect? We can still all think what we think, but we need not rub
each
other's noses in the differences. That's precisely why I use (B)CE and HB
terms.

However, if others choose not to do that, I'll weather it, so long as there
is
a clear understanding that world-views are there for challenging. I may win
my
brother by argument, but may not close off his options and enforce
acquiescence.

Shalom.

Bruce.

  • This particular rock is getting like a hard place..., b . gardner, 02/17/2001