b-hebrew - Re: Mesha Stele and the Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mesha Stele and the Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:43:53 -0700

> Dear Eduardo,
> What does your perception of Ieoua do with the shortened forms YaH and YaHu?
> Also, how do you account for LXX YABE?
> Charles David Isbell

Charles,
I haven't seen this spelling in the LXX, but I haven't looked that hard
either. Just guessing, I'm wondering if the "b" is a Greek attempt
to render the WAW as a "v" sound? I don't know how that would
work into Eduardo's approach, but that's my idea for what it's worth.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated." C. S. Lewis