b-hebrew - Herem (was terminology)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Liz Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Samuel Payne" <sam AT sampayne.worldonline.co.uk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Herem (was terminology)
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:21:03 -0500

Dear Samuel,
One of the many joys I have had in studying the bible
critically is being able to take myself and others off these particular
horns. (Tho we may find others.)
I was teaching Hebrew to a friend and we were reading Joshua,
and he was similarly upset and confused (as were my own
children when they studied it). I gave them all the Mesha
Stele to read. It was a great gift to myself and to each of them.
It placed everything in perspective; it provided understanding.
The Moabite Stele can be found in translation in Cogan and Tadmor's
Anchor Bible Commentary on II Kings, p.333-4. It can also be found
in a great little book called Old Testament Parallels: Laws and Stories
from the Ancient Near East, by Victor Matthews and Don Benjamin.
The important to realize that the Hebrews were not alone in telling these
sorts of stories. This was ubiquitous among the peoples of the ancient
near east. Each god ordered it's people to destroy the others, to put them
to Herem (a word used in both the bible and the Mesha inscription), and
to devote them to himself. It is necessary to put oneself in the mindset
and the period of the age in which these texts were written, to consider
who the itended audience was, and the purpose of the text for its
audience.

If you can't get the Mesha stele, I can copy it out for you.

Liz Fried
Ann Arbor