b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew ("ethnic")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yon_saf AT bezeqint.net>
  • To: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew ("ethnic")
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:43:15 +0200

"Ethnic" is a much better word, Ian, lacking the negative connotations of
"racial". Pf cpirse, one can argue about the connotations of "ethnic" as
well, and some people will claim that Jews are not an ethnic group, as I
stated in a previous posting. But at least the term doesn't have negative
implications.
As for the author of Matthew, I would think that his "ethnicity", plus many
other factors, such as the historical circumstances or the intended
audience, are of importance in his interpretation of the verse under
question.

Any study of the history of interpretation of biblical p[assages has to take
these many factors into account.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Chairman