b-hebrew - Re: Isaiah's servant

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christine Bass" <christinebass AT home.com>
  • To: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Isaiah's servant
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:39:25 -0500

> Since Isaiah speaks for God, there is little reason to make a big fuss
> about who is talking. But I am comfortable, after many years of reading
>the Bible, with the idea that God at times speaks of himself in the third
> person.
>
> Yours,
> Harold Holmyard

***********************

Liz Fried wrote:

It's based on the assumption that texts are holy.

***********************

Christian Brady wrote:

> I am sorry Liz, could you clarify: whose position is based upon the
> assumption that the texts are holy? (Mine is not.)

> Chris M M Brady
> Director * Jewish Studies * Tulane University

It is interesting to observe the different perspectives through which
information is being filtered and analyzed in this discussion----
and to ponder how those views brought to the text influence the
interpretation of text.

Christian, you question Liz on whose position it is that the texts are
holy--- I think it would be safe to say their numbers are legion.

Christine

.