b-hebrew - Re: Firmament as Dimension

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Verna Craig <rowan2 AT cpnw.net>
  • To: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>, Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Firmament as Dimension
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:06:14 -0800

Jack,
    I find it important to understand the original intent of the authors of Scripture, but language itself is not frozen in the past. Language changes, grows, and meets new times and ideas. The founders of Israel made a purposeful decision to go back and construct vocabulary for new situations and industries from Hebrew roots rather than Hebrewize foreign words. Has raqia been used in science or physics? I guess this is what I am asking. Did the word develop with time, or was there some other lucky word that got chosen?
                                    Verna