b-hebrew - RE: Isa. 42:3-4

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dan Wagner <Dan.Wagner AT datastream.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Isa. 42:3-4
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:55:54 -0500

Thank you, John Barach, for this helpful post, clarifying and further
developing the idea mentioned earlier. This, combined with some other
thoughts i'm seeing, mostly in comparison with v. 4, is influencing my
thinking on the issue.

Here is what i'm now seeing:

Verse 3: A "crushed" reed is disappointing in that when resting upon it, it
collapses. A "flickering" or "dim" wick is unable to provide the needed
light. Jesus lets them be without dealing with them aggressively.

Verse 4: The Servant will not, Himself, "flicker out / grow dim" or "be
crushed" (same vocab as for the wick & reed!). He will succeed in
establishing justice throughout the world.

This is not because He assert Himself openly with an overt political agenda
(v. 2). Rather, it is because Yahweh's Spirit is upon Him (v. 1), and
because this spiritual power of the creator, Yahweh, is sovereign over all,
esp. over all individuals (v. 5). If the individuals have their physical
life from Yahweh's Spirit (v. 5b still), then it only stands to reason that
He is able to give Gentiles spiritual life as well (v. 6). This is by
spiritual means, primarily, of opening blind eyes and delivering them from
the darkness of sin (v. 7). Obviously, Isaiah did not think that all
Gentiles were physically blind, so that is not the point.

The NT applies this in both regards in various contexts, healing of the
physical aspect having its primary purpose to demonstrate Jesus as the
Messiah and His spiritual power to heal or open eyes as well. His kingdom
was/is a spiritual kingdom, at least for now.

Dan Wagner