b-hebrew - RE: Question Concerning Inspiration ("Probabilities")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Question Concerning Inspiration ("Probabilities")
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:36:47 +0400

Both the books of Kings and "Creation" contain some material which has been
confirmed by archaeology, and neither contains material which can be proved
to conflict with archaeology. Agreed? So I can say the same of both: either
they are ancient (or based on ancient sources now lost) and a generally
accurate record of their periods; or they are modern and based on good
research into what is known today of their periods. The difference comes in
that we know that Kings is ancient, at least 1st century BCE. The
implication from this is that it is a generally accurate record.

By the way, I have not talked at all about Hebrew religious literature. I am
referring to Hebrew literature which is presented as historical. Of course I
don't claim that it is without certain biases, but then no history is free
of these.

Peter Kirk