b-hebrew - Re: Question Concerning Inspiration (Christine)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christine Bass" <christinebass AT home.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Question Concerning Inspiration (Christine)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:58:54 -0500

"And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake,
some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. [...]

and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand."

(Daniel 12:2,10)
=================

Ian, I don't find it unusual that a Jewish writer such as Daniel was
writing about resurrection from the dead and everlasting life after death.
This same topic was broached in Hebrew literature both before and
after Daniel. It looks to me that it was a part of the Jewish mindset.

 Ezekiel was a contemporary of Daniel who also wrote from Babylon,
and as such my mention of his comments on the resurrection from the dead
was a calculated choice on my part. I could just as well have brought up
Jonah whose 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of a whale
were referenced by another Jew who claimed he was going to be resurrected,
or perhaps I could have mentioned King Saul who apparently believed
in life after death since he had the prophet Samuel called up from the dead,
or even that other Jew with a vision, John, who wrote of seeing
resurrections of great numbers of people and life after death
in a manner that coincides with Daniel's vision.
As I recall a major point of debate between the Pharisees and the Sadducees
was just this topic, resurrection from the dead and everlasting life.

Oddly enough, on the "ancient history"
site you referenced there is a great deal written on resurrection from the
dead. (From a literal point of view.)

Christine Bass