b-hebrew - RE: Question Concerning Inspiration (was Joe)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ian Hutchesson" <mc2499 AT mclink.it>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Question Concerning Inspiration (was Joe)
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:37:51 +0400

Ian, I've moved beyond Kuntillat Ajrud to another line of argument. If you
have problems with my probability argument, think of it this way. If I
predict to you all of the winners at the races tomorrow, I think you will
agree that either I was very lucky or I had inside information. Indeed you
might decide to try to profit from on my tips for the day after, if you were
the betting type. But if I named for you the winners of yesterday's races,
you wouldn't be very impressed. Gore Vidal has named yesterday's winners.
The Book of Kings names, if not the future winners, at least winners which
according to you the author had no information about. But doesn't that
suggest that the author did in fact know the real winners?

The argument is independent of whether I know the author or his work. It
applies to any modern work which is based on good (or bad!) research into
what is known today of this period.

By the way, I am also aware of the book of Judith as well, and have it on my
computer. Here is the first verse (sorry it's not in proper Greek letters):
žtouv dwdek€tou tÒv basile°av Naboucodonosor ëv bas°leusen HAssur°wn n
Nineuj tÞ pçlei tÞ meg€lÛ n ta²v Óm™raiv Arfaxad ëv bas°leusen MÐdwn n
HEkbat€noiv. Well, weren't Assyria and Nineveh part of Nebuchadnezzar's
empire? I thought he conquered them. Wouldn't he have taken the title king
of Assyria? And might he not have been known by this title in neighbouring
Media? I would not jump to conclusions too quickly based on a single
apparent error. But OK, this may be a historical novelette, so I'm not going
to waste any more bytes trying to argue this one.

Peter Kirk