b-hebrew - RE: shamayim = sha + mayim ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <Bavno AT aol.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: shamayim = sha + mayim ?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:14:19 +0400

Unfortunately I don't think this explanation holds water ;-) For one thing,
one would expect a doubled m or dagesh forte with your explanation.

It is very unlikely that shamayim is a compound of any type. There are very
few compound nouns (excluding names) in Biblical Hebrew - beliyya`al being
one of those very few. Shamayim seems to be a plural or dual form from a
typical triliteral Semitic root, which is also found in the singular in the
Arabic sama = "heaven" and various other Semitic languages - see
Brown-Driver-Briggs for more details of this.

Peter Kirk