b-hebrew - Re: The Gospel of Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Robert Vining" <rvining AT log.on.ca>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The Gospel of Ruth
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 08:31:43 -0600

Robert,
Yours is a passionate exposition. But I think you have failed to address a
very significant point highlighting the difference between Ruth the
Moabitess and the Moabite women in Numbers. These latter had not only
become involved with Israelite men sexually, but had "invited [them] to the
sacrifices of their gods," leading to a flagrant and open worship of these
gods by the Israelite men, even to the point that "Israel yoked themselves
to Baal of Peor" (Num 25:1-3).
By very sharp contrast, Ruth is willing to leave her own people (much like
Abraham in Gen 12!), and pointedly declares that the God of her
mother-in-law Naomi will now be her God as well (1:16). Jewish tradition
has always viewed this as a statement of conversion. So the difference in
the two texts is not that God has changed but that the worshippers of a
false god in one instance not only retain their belief in that false god but
lure Israelites away from the worship of the true [only] God to it. In the
second instance, Ruth's willing and forceful acceptance of the true God
makes her fully acceptable as a wife for Boaz.
Of course, I am using the biblical view of gods false and true. But the
contrast is not between YHWH "A" and YHWH "B" but between idolaters and
converts to the true faith.
Do you feel that this concept requires any adjustment of your exposition?
Regards,
Charles David Isbell