b-hebrew - RE: BHS, WTT, & L

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Don A. Elbourne Jr." <delbourne AT home.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: BHS, WTT, & L
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 12:27:44 -0600

Thank you for that explanation. It is helpful to understand what we are
dealing with when working from these electronic editions. Personally, I use
BibleWorks for most of my work with the text and then of-course have to keep
the printed BHS handy to check the apparatus. It will be nice when this info
is all in electronic format. I've never spent much time comparing the text
itself.

While the news from Logos is interesting, I failed to see the advantage of
having a second electronic edition of the same underlying text. If the new
version and the eBHS and the print BHS differ, it will be difficult to tell
which is a more accurate representation of L without access to a facsimile.
What would be ideal is a software package with a full searchable Hebrew text
and then be able to toggle between the searchable text and a digital
facsimile of L, but perhaps that is asking too much.

I asked Logos for more information and received this in response:

<snip>
The initial drop of L will be straight text, for comparison purposes. Much
like there are alternate versions that are available for the Greek, L will
provide an alternate to the BHS which could be handy in lieu of the lack of
apparati for the Hebrew text in electronic format.

This will a lengthy project, overall. Our long-term goal is to create an
alternate text to the BHS, complete with lexemes, morph data, and <shudder>
even glosses. As I'm sure you can understand, this is no quick-draw
operation. We think doing it in pieces is the best approach. The first
component is the main text. We'll follow this up (if we have sufficient
interest in the first component) with a project to do the "morphitizing" of
the text.

Of course, L and BHS are not replicas of each other. Kittel had access to L
when he was piecing together the BHS text, but he also used other
manuscripts, as I understand it. Stating that L and BHS are taken from the
same source is misleading and improper. L is L. The BHS uses readings
(perhaps a majority) based on L. But they are not functionally equal.

L is important simply because it is the oldest copy (dating from around 1000
AD) of the compiled 39 book Old Testament in Hebrew that we've got.

</snip>

He did not answer my question regarding who was doing the work. I'm going to
press him again and see if I can get some more info. If anyone is interested
I will report back here. As you said, there are interpretive issues involved
with typing the text and it would be good to know who is behind it. The
current WTT caries with it a certain level of respect because of the
scholars who have overseen the project, but if the new edition is simply
hammered out by some software companies text-geek department, I would
hesitate abandoning the one for the other. Are my concerns justified?

Don A. Elbourne Jr.
http://elbourne.simplenet.com