b-hebrew - Re: Deut. 32: 6 -qnk

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Deut. 32: 6 -qnk
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 08:49:58 -0500

Dear Jonathan,
By analogy with the `asekha just two words later, the root would appear to
be Q-N-H [originally Y]. But the better possibility may be that the root
here should be Quf-Nun-'Alef [see BHS].
As it stands, the form is pausal because of the Zaqeph Qaton. This pulls
the accent forward from the suffix, and places the open syllable with Quf
adjacent to an accented syllable.
Hope this helps.
Tzom Qal be-Yom Kippur ha-Ba'.
Charles David Isbell