b-hebrew - Re: HF$IBBO:LIYM (?) -- (Parenthesis)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Ben Crick" <ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: HF$IBBO:LIYM (?) -- (Parenthesis)
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:49:33 +0500

Dear Ben,

Maybe you say "bus stop" with a glottal stop, or a pause, when you are
enunciating carefully for your sermons. But if you ask the ordinary people
at the bus stop, I don't think you will hear a pause, just a long S sound.
At least that's how I say it, unless I am trying to spell it out very
carefully, and I was brought up just down the road from you, at Wye, Kent,
so this is not a regional dialect thing.

Peter Kirk