b-hebrew - shtey

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ray Clendenen" <rclende AT lifeway.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: shtey
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:42:22 -0500

I have started reading Horsnell's very helpful _A Review and Reference
Grammar for Biblical Hebrew_. I ran across a note on p. 33 that says the
word for 'two', shtey/shtayim, begins with a silent sheva followed by a
dagesh lene (as I have transliterated it). He argues that since the dagesh
is a dagesh lene, the sheva must be silent. My question is, How do we know
it is a dagesh lene? Thanks.

Ray Clendenen

  • shtey, Ray Clendenen, 09/26/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>