b-hebrew - HF$IBBO:LIYM (?) -- Gen. 41.24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <language_lover64801 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew Mailing List" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: HF$IBBO:LIYM (?) -- Gen. 41.24
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 01:26:48 -0500

We are reading through the Joseph story in Genesis. In reading the passage
about Joseph interpreting Pharaoh's dream, our class (consisting of two
students and the teacher *smile*) came across the form HF$IBBO:LIYM in
Genesis 41.24. Is there a specific reason for there being no daghesh in
the shin? One more thing: in the Leningrad tradition, there _is_ a daghesh
and a patakh. We use the BHS in class and this is the one in which the
daghesh is missing and the vowel of the heh is a qamets (A --> F). Is
there an explanation for such a difference in tradition and what is the
significance of the BHS reading?

Thanks in advance,
Jason Hare