b-hebrew - Re: Mikraot Gedolot

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Eiichi Katoh <ekatoh AT ma.neweb.ne.jp>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Mikraot Gedolot
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 12:00:40 +0200

Eiichi Katoh wrote:

> Dear Friends,
> I'm just thinking about purchasing "Mikraot Gedolot", but I'm not sure which
> edition is the best one. Does anybody know which edition is the most
> reliable and authoritative?

There are two modern editions of Miqraot Gedolot, in modern script with
critical
apparati, but neither of them including all the books of the Tanakh

For the Pentateuch alone there is:
Katzenelenbogen, Mordechai Leib, ed., _Torat Hayyim:Hamishah Humeshei Torah_,
5 vold.,
Jerusalem, Mosad Harav Kook, 1986.

Bar-Ilan University is producing an edition for the whole Tanakh:

Cohen, Menahem, ed., _Miqraot Gedolot Haketer_, Ramat-Gan, Bar Ilan
University, 1992-.
Volumes that have appeared so far:
Genesis, 2 parts; Joshua; Judges; Samuel; Kings, Isaiah.

Sincerely,
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies