b-hebrew - Re: Gen 1:2 "was"/"became"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <Tsadowq AT aol.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gen 1:2 "was"/"became"
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 23:54:04 -0300

Thank you for bringing in Isaiah 45:18, which has the phrase (concerning God
and the earth)

LO)-TOHUW B:RF)FH. (lo-tohu bra'ah)

This is surely rather significant in relation to Genesis 1:2 as it seems to
directly contradict the understanding that God caused the earth to be tohu
webohu. Of course we cannot be sure of the temporal relationship between the
two passages. But I would suggest that "Isaiah" is here making a deliberate
echo of Genesis 1:2 and also showing his own understanding of that verse.
Perhaps this is even evidence that in his time this verse was understood in
different ways, and Isaiah is showing his support for one of those ways. Of
course that does not mean that Isaiah was necessarily correct. But he might
have been.

Peter Kirk